This is the front and reverse of a stereoscopic view, stereograph, stereoview, stereo view a street view from the city of Salina, including a Drug Store owned by and labeled "Oscar Seitz" a building located at 107 North Santa Fe, Salina Kansas, (for more on him and his shop see http://www.salinakansas.org/chamber/events/class07.asp for his entry into the Salina Business Hall of Fame for 2007). For a interior view of the shop see the book "Salina: 1858-2008 By Salina History Book Committee", page 52, top photograph. Next to this is a building that says "Boots Shoes, Mitchler & Peifer, Boots & Shoes. Original title "Street view of Salina, including drug store". It has been dated from (1868?-1906?) by the NYPL, and since it was published before 1923, it is now in the public domain in the U.S.A. These images are from The New York Public Library, Digital Gallery, public domain collection, http://digitalgallery.nypl.org/nypldigital/id?G90F195_026ZF and is part of their, "United States in Stereo: In the Robert N. Dennis Collection of Stereoscopic Views".
This appears to be one of three 'Views' published by "A. S. Barber & Son" in 1887 of Salina Kansas, the other two being:
"View On Santa Fe Avenue"
"Instantanious View Work-Men on National Hotel"
these also being on Internet Archive and from the NYPL collections.
The full text of the reverse side is as follows;
In a Nutshell.
Salina's Wonderful Story, Briefly Told.
Salina, The County Seat And Leading Town of Saline County. With a Population of 9,000 is one of the finest cities in the West, surrounded as it is by rich and fertile land, possessing in her merchants and manufactures, the most enterprising class of men to be found in Kansas. It is not to be wondered at that Salina is realy on the boom, and that people from the east, looking for an eligible site on which to locate, are fast recognizing the grand opportunities she offers.
They are simply unsurpassed! Being on the main line of the Union Pacific, the Missouri Pacific, the terminuls of the Salina, Lincon and Western, reaching to the northwest, and the Salina and Southwestern, reaching to the south, while 'Frisco, B. & M., Santa Fe, Omaha, Salina, and El Paso, Rock Island, and Minneapolis, Lincoln and Southwestern are constructing lines in this direction and will reach here at no distant day.
The educational facillities are first class. There being locatedhere the Salina Normal University, Kansas Wesleyan University, Episcopal Military Training School, Kindergarten School, Catholic College, High School building and Second Ward school; also three new large ward schools to be built this season. The vaidation altogether of property, amounting to Three Hundred and Seventy-Five Thousand Dollars.
The following denominations have ediaces: Baptist, Christian, Episcopal, Presbyterian, Roman Catholic, English Lutheran, Methodist Episcopal, Swedish Lutheran, German Methodist, African Methodist, Colored Free Methodist and Colored Baptist - sixteen churches in all.
Among the fine public buildings, of which Salina possesses many, are the Old Fellows' building, an elegant fou story block; the Masonic Temple, a magnificent structuree; Court House, Opera House block, National Hotel, and many others.
Three of the finest flouring mills in the State, the Salina Mill and Elevator and Underwood & Co.'s are located here. Capacity, 1,500 barrels daily. Six elevators, the storage capacity of which is 250, 000 bushels. Also an extensive mattress factory, carriage factory, broom factory, iron foundry, sash, door and blind factory, and several minor manufacturing enterprises.
The banking institutions are five in number, viz: The First National, and the Salina National, and three private firms. The mercantile intrests of the city are represented by live and energetic firms who carry stocks that would reflect credit on any stores in the country.
The traveling public will find ample accommodation in the following hotels: The new National, being built four stories high, with elevator, steam, and modern improvements at a cost of 100,000 will be, when completed, the finest hotel in Kansas. The Pacific, Wittmann, Metropolitan, (European plan), Grand Central and Monteur. Transient guests accomodated in 1886, 75,000.
Four well-edited newspapers are published here, viz: The Herald, (daily and weekly), the Journal, daily and weekly), Weekly Republican and Weekly Rising Sun. Arrangements have been recently made to establish very soon an eight-page morning daily with full telegraphic dispatches.
In city improvements, Salina is far ahead of most western towns of her size, having street railway at a cost of $45,000, gas works at a cost of $50,000 and the Holly system of waterworks at a cost of $100,000. Buildings and improvements in 1886, $750,000. Telephone connection and other advantages. Oak Dale Park, the finest in the State adjoins the city on the east. The United States land office is located here, but Not One Saloon. The city is situated on the geographical center of the State, also in the center of the Great Golden Grain Belt of Kansas. Has good drainage. The Smokey Hill River runs through the city. She has more shade trees than any city in the State and is rightly named the Forest City of Kansas, besides being surrounded by seven of the finest valleys of Kansas.
The city has always been well governed at a small expense, and the laws strictly enforced. In conclusion, we can safely assert to those desiring a live, orderly, healthy and good business place in which to locate, Salina has no superior and few equals in America.